The Triple Aim, HIM, and Health Care Reform
Create a 12-15-slide PowerPoint presentation (20 minutes with 10 minutes Q & A) on the Triple Aim model, HIM, and health care reform for an audience that constitutes the general public. Include voice-over narration and speaker notes with slides.
Health care is an ever-changing field. One of the driving forces of change in health care is government policies and procedures, such as the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), and the Triple Aim model.These forces are attempting to improve the quality of patient care and the population’s health. They are also trying to reduce health care costs.
For the purpose of this assessment, assume you are an active member in your regional health information management (HIM) association. Your association has agreed to present a series of health care lectures at a local community center. As the vice-president of the association, you have been asked to present on health care reform. The community center has asked you to specifically focus on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the Triple Aim. The association would also like you to explain how the HIM field relates to these topics.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 2: Identify market forces that affect health care systems.
- Explain the Triple Aim model’s goals.
- Identify HIM’s role in the Triple Aim.
- Identify ways the Affordable Care Act supports and hinders the Triple Aim’s goals.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a professional manner.
- Follow APA style and formatting guidelines for citations and references.
- Create a clear, well organized, compelling presentation that is generally free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
This assessment requires you to provide a slide presentation of 12 to 15 slides that explains how the Affordable Care Act supports and hinders the Triple Aim model. The audience for your presentation is the general public, not health care experts, so be sure to target your message appropriately.
To be able to present your analysis, you may want to conduct independent research into the Affordable Care Act’s and the Triple Aim’s basic tenets in addition to consulting this assessment’s suggested resources. Consult the Health Care Administration Undergraduate Research Guide for help in beginning your research and identifying credible sources.
As part of the assessment, you will also be required to provide narration along with your slide presentation. To prepare for the audio recording of your presentation:
- Set up and test your microphone or headset using the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer.You only need to use the headset if your audio is not clear and high quality when captured by the microphone.
- Practice using the equipment to ensure the audio quality is sufficient.
- Microsoft PowerPoint allows you to record your narration with your slides. If you choose to record your presentation using this tool, simply submit your presentation to the appropriate area of the courseroom. Your narration will be included with your slides.
- Consult the Using Kaltura [PDF] for guidance in how to record your presentation and upload it in the courseroom if you select not to use Microsoft PowerPoint to submit your slides and narration.
Note: If you require the use of assistive technology or alternative communication methods to participate in this activity, please contact DisabilityServices@Capella.edu to request accommodations.
Create a 12- to 15-slide PowerPoint presentation on the Triple Aim model, HIM, and health care reform. Include voice-over narration and speaker notes with your presentation. Your presentation needs to be about 20 minutes in length with an additional 10 minutes for questions and answers. Be sure to address all of the following in your presentation:
- Introduction and Opening (1 slide)
- How can you open your presentation in a way that engages your audience? Consider some eye-opening statistics, a compelling quote, or a challenging question.
- The Triple Aim Model (2 to 3 slides)
- What is the Triple Aim?
- What are its goals?
- HIM and the Triple Aim (3 to 4 slides)
- Why is the Triple Aim model relevant to the health information management workforce?
- What is HIM’s role in the Triple Aim?
- How specifically can HIM contribute to the Triple Aim’s goals?
- The Affordable Care Act and the Triple Aim (3 to 4 slides)
- In what ways does the ACA support the achievement of the Triple Aim’s goals?
- In what ways does the ACA hinder the achievement of the Triple Aim’s goals?
- How effectively does the ACA address all parts of the Triple Aim?
- Closing (1 slide)
- What are the one or two main ideas you would like your audience to take away from your presentation?
- Q and A
- Provide two starter questions with responses.
In your speaker notes, be sure to include specific examples to support the points you are making. You will also want to include citations and references to current, scholarly and/or authoritative sources.
- PowerPoint Presentation: 12 to 15 slides with speaker notes and voice-over narration. Balance visuals with text.
- Font: Use Times New Roman, 12 point font.
- APA: Provide APA-formatted citations and references for resources.
- Writing: Create a clear, well-organized, compelling document that is free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
Americans spent an average of $10,000 per person annually on healthcare (Brannign & Vater, 2015). The cost of healthcare is already high in America, and this is expected to increase from 17.8% of GDP in 2015 to 20.1% of GDP…