Discussion Board – Unit 5 Sylvester – Politics, Social Value, and Judicial Decisions
This week, you are continuing your study of constitutional principles and discussing any biases that may exist in the legal system. In regard to the Eighth Amendment, the United States Supreme Court has held that the death penalty is not a per se violation of the Eighth Amendment. Gregg v. Georgia, 428 U.S. 153 (1976). After the Gregg case was decided, the Court issued several cases addressing the death penalty. Focus your discussion on the following:
1. Review the following Web sites of organizations:
- Innocence Project
- Equal Justice Initiative
- Bluhm Legal Clinic Center On Wrongful Convictions at Northwestern School of Law
Does your state (TEXAS) have its own Innocence Project organization or other organization to help those who have been wrongly convicted?
- Provide your opinion about these organizations.
2. Based upon your research, what are the pros and cons of using the death penalty?
- Explain your position on whether the death penalty should be available in the criminal justice system.
Equal Justice Initiative (EJI). (2021). Home. http://www.eji.org
Innocence Project. (2021). Home. https://www.innocenceproject.